Wednesday, September 14, 2005

United we stand

My seventh, and second-last, session at Canyon South today, and I think we actually managed to achieve a fair bit.

The other kids left for PowerPoint as usual, and the nine of us dug in to complete the rest of the site. We began by completing the last two remaining pages, which were a combination of text and images. No real problems this time; I think the kids are pretty used to this stuff by now.

Two of the kids, Tracy and Tina, actually got into an argument today. It wasn't a full-blown shouting match, but Tina suddenly upped and left the classroom, saying she was joining the others in the computer lab. I wasn't actually too sure what I'm supposed to do in a case like this, but I figured Lisa would handle it when Tina went into the lab, so I just left it as that and continued with the remaining kids.

After we finished all the pages, I then demonstrated how to create simple links, and how to control the link text formatting. They picked it up pretty quickly, and we slowly began to link the site together.

One of the kids from the other group, Alan, came into the classroom and sat behind us, watching. I actually didn't even notice he was there for a time. When I turned around, he was just sitting quietly, watching. I asked him why he was with us, instead of with the rest of the class in the computer lab, and he replied that he was bored with PowerPoint and came to see what we were doing. I then asked if he'd gotten permission from Lisa to be here, and he replied "no". I wasn't sure if I should have told him to go back to the lab, but he looked like he really wanted to be here, but expected me to just send him back. I don't know why, or whether I even should have, but I simply invited him to join us, and continued from where I stopped.

We finished linking the site together, and I managed to show them a little bit about how to perform basic troubleshooting and debugging before my time ran out. Overall, I think we did pretty good, and there's just one last "wrap up" session left.

They're on vacation for the next two weeks, so I'll be back after that.
We're nearly through! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home